Chinese-Forums

How do you translate "protect from"?

WangYuHong

I was trying to speak Chinese to my wife. Most of the time when I don't know something, I just piece together broken parts to at least get something comprehensible, but this sentence I couldn't even figure out the words for.

I wanted to say "I protect my wife from animals".

Since I'm not a grammar expert, my attempt to piece something together was:

我保护我太太 from 动物。

wo3 bao3hu4 wo3 tai4 tai4 *from* dong4wu4.

Now I started thinking, I've come across many words, even if I don't know how to use them grammatically, I have a gist of their meaning. But I couldn't think of something for "from". Most of the time you use 从 (cong2), but that's a different from (think: from here to there).

So I asked my wife how she would translate it, and she came up with something more complex. (我保护我太太,别让动物麻烦他, I protect my wife, I don't let animals bother her ) I just couldn't believe that there wasn't a simple sentence construction that allows "X protect Y from Z"

Has anyone else in their studies encountered a suitable translation for this sentence?

I just couldn't believe that there wasn't a simple sentence construction that allows "X protect Y from Z”

Ah~ ~!. The more you learn, the more similar conditions you will meet, because different languages have their own way(s) to express the same meaning. Sometimes you can find a counterpart in your target language (i.e. the language you want to translate into), but sometimes you should create a new way to express the meaning smoothly in your target language.

"I protect my wife from animals".

我保护我太太免受动物的伤害。/ 我保护我太太,免得她受到动物的伤害。

Thanks!