Chinese-Forums

please explain this poem

rezaf

and a translation here -> http://www.bopsecrets.org/rexroth/essays/sung-china.htm

Spring Night

The gold incense burner has gone out.

The water clock has stopped.

A chill breeze sends a shiver through me.

Spring troubles me and threatens my sleep.

Against my balcony, the moon casts the shadows of flowers.

So wrote the great statesman and reformer Wang An-shih (1021-1086). His political opponent, the leading Sung poet and calligrapher, Su Tung-p’o (1036-1101), wrote:

Flower Shadows

It piles up, thick and formidable, on the marble terrace.

The pages, called again and again, try to sweep it away.

Just then the sun comes out and carries it off.

But never mind, the next moon,

The shadow will come back.

My, weren’t they cultivated for politicians!, you think. Yes, but not precisely in the way you think. These are both political poems and refer to the influence of eunuchs, foreigners and nongentlemen on the court and to the respective authors’ antagonistic parties of reform.

“送将来“ 是 “送来“ 的意思吗?它的 “将“ 是什么意思?

Personally I consider 將 in this pattern is equivalent to 了. You will often come across this pattern when you read older books or books like wuxia novels.

Also take a look at this link -> http://hk.iciba.com/search?s=%E5%B0%87

jiāng

<助>

用在動詞後面,表示動作、行為的趨向或進行。在現代漢語裏見於方言

宮使驅將惜不得。—— 唐 · 白居易 《賣炭翁》

大蟲去了一盞茶時,方才扒將起來。——《水滸傳》

又如:走將出來;叫將起來;趕將上去

Flower Shadows

It piles up, thick and formidable, on the marble terrace.

The pages, called again and again, try to sweep it away.

Just then the sun comes out and carries it off.

But never mind, the next moon,

The shadow will come back.

Just the setting sun carries it off,

while the rising moon puts it back to the place.

Cheers!

Just to add a little to the conversation about "将," Pulleyblank in his Outline of Classical Chinese Grammar, says that "将" moved from full verbal status (meaning, among other things, "to carry") in early Han to a lesser role as a verbal particle, in other words, "将" gradually lost meaning and over time took on a more grammatical function ... This supports the idea that "将" had the force of "了" -- there are traces of this modality in expressions today where "了" indicates possibility: 大不了, "the worst that can happen is..." ... In the 注释 to the poem provided below, "将" is interpreted as 语气助词, 用于动词之后 (modal particle used after the verb), and the translations of the poem into English treat "将" as a marker of the future and intention to act ("the shadow will come back") ... The changing position of "将" pre- / post-verbal is interesting (well, to some people) ...

Pulleyblank (only have the Chinese edition):

"将" 表示未来, 通常还隐含着说话者的意愿.

将以衅钟 [孟子] "We are going to consecrate a bell with it."

在前古汉语时期, "将" 是一个实义动词, 意思是"携带, 用"等. 后来它的意思是 "率领 (军队)". 在早期汉语口语中,"将" 是一个次动词性的小品词, 很像现代汉语中的 "把,"用来把宾语提到动词前面.